Great Gifts for Authors
© 2015 Kebba Buckley Button, MS, OM. World Rights Reserved.
So, you want to get a really good, thoughtful, meaningful gift for an author you love. Should you get her/him a really beautiful pen? Or perhaps some really gorgeous writing paper? Stop! Think again, and just say “no” to the usual. Instead, consider impressing your author with one of these considerate gifts that will be used daily.
- A no-spill glass or mug. Seriously! All authors need something to sip while writing, usually working at a computer of some size. It is crucial that no liquid touch the keyboard, or that expensive equipment could be ruined. Today many attractive no-spill glasses and mugs are available. You can even get a favorite photo or phrase printed on either of these. They come in many colors, shapes, and sizes. Choose one that will fit in the driver’s side beverage holder in your author’s car. If they love a really hot beverage, be sure you get a metal-lined mug in a brand that is well-known for keeping coffee hot all day. Contigo is one such brand. Various sources. Under $20-25.
- Framed pictures of the author’s kids, furkids, or grandkids. These work well on mugs, also. Your author’s heart will be warmed every time s/he looks at your gift. If there are no kids, furkids, or grandkids, have your author’s book cover printed on a mug. For spillproof style options, check Walgreens.com or Vistaprint.com. Under $25.
- Eye drops. Authors use their eyes a lot, and rinsing them reduces eye fatigue and allergies. Avoid brands that say they reduce redness; longterm, they can actually be irritating. Instead, look for “artificial tears” or saline drops.
- Washable keyboard. Need I say more? Both Logitech and Kensington make them. Before you buy, be sure you know whether your author prefers with-cord or cordless. Various sources. $20-$65.
- Flash drives. Authors can never have too many flash drives, to save groups of columns and book files, and to carry them between office and print shop. Available at office supply stores, electronics stores, and big box stores. Depending on capacity, $8-$64 and up.
- Personalized sticky-notes. You can get your author’s website, contact information, bookcover/s or favorite quote, imprinted on any size sticky notes. I get mine from Primo Promos (602-404-8284, ask for Helen). The first time you have them made, with art and setup charges, around $100 and up.
- No-fuss healthy snacks. Authors need to snack! And snacks that are sticky, grainy, or greasy will gum up the desk and keyboard and slow down productivity. Wrapped snacks are ideal, like protein bars and fruit-nut bars. Ten for under $20.
Now you’re no longer stuck for gift ideas. Try one or more of these, and your beloved author will be delighted. These are gifts that celebrate what your author most loves: writing. Happy Holidays!
Kebba Buckley Button is a stress management expert and award-winning author. She also is an ordained minister and has a natural healing practice. Among her books are: Discover The Secret Energized You (http://tinyurl.com/b44v3br),and Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core, Second Edition (http://tinyurl.com/mqg3uvc ). Her newest book is Sacred Meditation: Embracing the Divine, available through her office. Just email SacredMeditation@kebba.com.